With record dry conditions and warmer than average temperatures this summer, conditions are ideal for algae blooms in our Central Oregon waterways.
The rapid growth of blue/green algae (known as Cyanobacteria) release cyanotoxins, which are one of the most powerful natural poisons. Climate change that has elevated temperatures has increased the length of the growing season for these bacteria. They are usually found in non-flowing natural waters, irrigation ponds and decorative ponds.
Symptoms can come on suddenly within minutes or it can take days before effects are seen. If you or your pet have been in waters that you suspect contain an algae bloom then rinse off immediately. Dogs can become sick after ingesting the water while chasing a ball in the water or licking their fur once they get out. Symptoms can include diarrhea, drooling, disorientation, weakness, seizures and change in breathing.