March is pet poison prevention month. Every year The Animal Poison Control Center receives thousands of calls for pets that have been accidentally poisoned by something that is safe for humans, but toxic to pets. Below are the most common household items that are toxic to pets.
Xylitol - A sweetener that is toxic to dogs, found in many sugarless gums, candies, flavored vitamins, and desserts.
Humane medications - Common human drugs including NSAIDs, acetaminophen, antidepressants, cold and flu medications, antihistamines, and herbal supplements.
Plants - Flowers, spring bulbs, and house plants.
Chocolate - Baker's chocolate and dark chocolate pose the biggest problem.
Fertilizers - Many fertilizers irritate the gastrointestinal tract. However, some are often combined with dangerous chemicals and compounds called organophosphates or carbamates, which can be harmful or deadly to pets.
Pest Control Products - They are highly toxic and without immediate veterinary attention can be fatal.
Food - Certain types of grapes, raisins, onions, garlic, and avocados.
Remember that what is safe for humans isn’t always safe for pets. If you think your pet has ingested something poisonous, contact your veterinarian and the Pet Poison Helpline immediately at 800-213-6680.